Tuesday, September 21, 2010

This is going to be a really self-indulgent post..

... you've been warned.

I've been working out and eating really healthy ever since I got back to Texas.  I had gained a little weight while living with Ian, not a ton, but since I moved back to Texas like one and a half months ago, I have officially lost an inch off of my waist!  (An inch and a half when I measure in the morning)  And THIS folks, is my "situation":




I also lost an inch off of my butt/hips, but I don't actually think it looks any smaller, instead it just looks rounder. :P  Whatever, I'm not complaining.  I know it's really strong and that makes me feel good.



For diet, I mostly focused on eating lots and lots of vegetables and getting enough fiber, and controlling my portion sizes.  It is a constant challenge to try and eat exactly enough.  You have to be conscious of how your body feels and how much you're putting into your mouth.  I think most people are bad at this.  I think most people are bad at conscious consuming in other areas as well, but that is for a different post.  
I actually ate more carbs over the last month or two than I would normally, because I was running.  If you don't refuel your glycogen stores after you run, then your run the next day will SUCK.  You can't run very fast or for as long, and it's also not enjoyable.  I have experienced this phenomenon first hand.  I also ate less meat and drank less than when I was with Ian.  Alcohol is a huge calorie budget sinkhole.  Most of all though, I'm trying to eat a more "plant-based diet".

And for working out, I've picked up running, which I used to hate, but for some reason I now enjoy. (?)  I REALLY love running.  I think I probably look ridiculous towards the end, running around with a HUGE smile on my face, even though I look totally beat.  But I'm just so happy!  It feels so good, like all my blood has turned to wine. :D  I cover about 3ish miles every other day but that number is increasing all the time.  I am getting stronger.  I know this because I write what I do down every day in a running log.  It is unfathomable to me when I realize I can run for longer than I previously could, or that the things I used to think were so difficult, have now gotten so much easier with practice.  There's this quote by Mister Rogers about him being disciplined in his swimming.  He says,
"I like to swim, but there are some days I just don't feel much like doing it - but I do it anyway!  I know it's good for me and I promised myself I'd do it everyday, and I like to keep my promises.  That's one of my disciplines.  And it's a good feeling after you've tried and done something well.  Inside you think, 'I've kept at this and I've really learned it - not by magic, but by my own work."
I love that quote!  And that's how I feel about my running, I am getting better at it, not by magic, but by my own work.  :D

On my non-running days, I like to do these workouts from www.bodyrock.tv  This girl Zuzana is incredible.  She is such an inspiration to me, and her workouts will make you cry!  :D  She's so passionate about what she does.  I love her because in her workout videos, you can see she is really PUSHING herself.  I hate watching exercise videos where the trainer acts like everything you're doing is so easy.  If working out and losing weight were that easy, everyone would be thin.  It makes me feel good watching Zuzana sweat because it feels like we're in it together!  And plus, watching her challenge herself and push her body, you realize, "That's how she created the body that she has!  She pushed herself, and that is what I must do."  Here's her workout from today to give you an example:  



The whole workout is explained on her site if you're interested.

No comments: